Friday, October 22, 2010

I started this blog to field questions regarding Rob's surgery, and he has come home now.  I am grateful for the continued interest and concern for him, so I will continue to give updates.  Robert came home late Wednesday afternoon and we stopped to visit one of his friends in the hospital.  We got home just in time to go to Michael's (our son) Court of Honor.  Of course Rob was tired by then and had a rough first night.  He continues to improve daily, and this morning when I told him it was time for some more medicine he replied with "Really?" I am taking that as a good sign because previously he was asking "Is it time yet?" So hopefully, that means his pain is beginning to subside.  He has 6 meds that I have to keep track of to dispense at the appropriate time, and I have to write them all down as to what I give him and when so that I don't forget, and he gets what he needs! He has been vigilant in doing what little minor therapy they gave him for his hand and forearm.  It is increasingly painful, and yesterday some of the nerves in his forearm started to wake up.  Ouch! However, he has lost a lot of muscle and nerves in his upper arm.  I am very happy that he has the use of his hand, and it is progressing so well!  I am disappointed that he lost more muscle than expected in his upper arm, and so will have a limited range of motion with his elbow. He has had the deltoid muscle removed, one of his biceps, the other one was disconnected, and then sewn back on. Likewise, he lost some of his pectoral muscle and what was saved had to be sewn back on to a different spot.  No, I don't know where they put it! What this means is that he currently has very limited up and down use of his arm, but that will get better as the bicep heals. Also that he can't raise his arm without his deltoid muscle, and he won't be able to move his arm left to right either even after he is all healed.  I have the pleasure of being his full time nurse, and am grateful that I can help and be a part of this change in his life, rather than a bystander watching it unfold.  Robert will where a sling on his arm for at least 6 weeks, and possibly 3 months, depending on how long it takes the new joint to "set" and heal.  During this time he needs a considerable amount of help, but once the arm is out of the sling, things will begin to settle out on their own.  Right now, he needs to be bathed, dressed, tucked into bed, medicated, iced down, bandages changed, and chauffeured.  He can't drive himself while he is on the narcotics!  It truly is a privilege to serve him! He has cared for me and our family for almost 18 years, and I adore and love him forever, always, and no matter what! Well, I must go now to get us ready for a medical appointment, but I will try to continue updating things when I have a few minutes.  Isn't our family picture so cute that my sister took a couple of days before the surgery? I just wanted to share that happy moment with all of you, and let you know that we all feel our Savior's love for us, and are immensely grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ that gives us the strength to see the good in this life, and endure to the end!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I was hoping the lag on the blog meant Robert had been sent home and you were super busy being 'Barby Nurse'. His progess seems so encouraging. I know it will just get better with time. My prayers continue to be with you all....
    Speaking of...who are all those grown up children in the picture, and what did you do with my 'short people'?! Gotta say, you are a good looking bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the family picture! You're a beautiful family and good friends! Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture! Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates. Isn't it wonderful that there are miracles in our times of difficulty? We pray that Robert will heal well and that you will all be blessed with the comfort and strength that you need to see you through these new trials.

    We love you guys,
    Mark, Bonnie and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara,
    I guess I don't have your email so I'll write you here. Last night while I was sitting by you I just kept thinking about how much I know Heavenly Father is so aware of you and your family. Of course I know you know all this. Of course you do. I was thinking about the grief, the loss, the pain, the exhaustion, the fear and stress of work, and all you must be going through right now. We've had the hardest two plus years I could ever imagine but it has been so amazing to look back and see so many blessings along the way. Some I noticed right away, but many I didn't recognize at first--I was drowning too much to recognize them. I know Heavenly Father is in the details of our lives. I know he cares about what we care about--both our needs, and also our wants. I have honestly been strengthened by things you have shared with me during the past year. I just wanted you to know that last night I had this overwhelming feeling that our Heavenly Father is so aware of you and he will take care of you and your family. You guys are going to be okay.
    Love you and think of you often,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete