Friday, October 8, 2010

Bone Scan Update

Robert's full body bone scan went well today.  I spoke with Dr. Jones at the Sarcoma clinic about 5:00 this evening.  The radiologist only saw two points of "interest", but the Dr. didn't think they were of "concern" but more normal for an osteochondrona (big name for his extra bones) patient.  One spot was on his left humerus, and the other on his sternum.  The Dr. hadn't ever seen one on a sternum before, but he was not alarmed, and they will of course follow both of the areas in the follow-up scans for the next several years.  We are not concerned, and are relieved with the results.  I spoke to Dr. Jones about my own concerns for the stability of Robert's shoulder joint after loosing so much bone and tissue. I asked if he would be able to carry children on his shoulders, or did we need to be protective of it.  He thought that he would be able to carry children, but of course after a sensible healing period.  The Dr. also told me that he was going to try to save some of his shoulder blade, but we will just have to wait and see.  The more places that he can anchor the new "bone" to will help stabilize it, and then the scar tissue that grows in will solidify the joint.  Scar tissue is good and bad.  While it helps to stabilize the joint, it can also grow in to the point that it will cause a frozen joint that would not allow him to lift his right arm with his left hand. So, good and bad.  But he will have time to adjust.  There is a short surgery that the doctor will do first on the 15th before Robert, but he told me to be prepared for the surgery to take 12 hours.  That is a long surgery, but the nurse will call me with updates every two hours, and I will then be able to post them here.  I hope this answers a few more questions, and I will try to answer any questions if someone posts a comment.  Thanks to you all! 

2 comments:

  1. So grateful for the updates! We love you guys so much!!! Please allow us to do anything you can think of :) Steve & Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for letting the ward be a part of the fasting and prayers. I know lots of families prefer their privacy, but we appreciate being able to join our prayers with yours.
    Much love, The Melvilles

    ReplyDelete